Monday, June 27, 2011

Building Your Daughter's Self-Esteem with "Be Your Own You" Products

My anxiety races when I hear my daughter speak ill of herself in any way because she is only seven years old. No parent wants to hear their child put themselves down or second guess themselves to the point where they won’t try activities. My daughter has shown signs of taking after me and at times that makes me proud, but then there are other times when it downright frightens me. I am a firm believer that having a strong sense of self-esteem is crucial in making your way in our society today, particularly in managing adolescence. Children with strong self-esteem are not as at risk for problem behaviors, which has definitely been proven by research.

BYOU or Be Your Own You is a company, created by Deborah Gano, to educate and support girls in developing and maintaining their self-esteem. “Our goal is to diminish the need for girls to seek external validation and approval, and rather rely on their own inner strength in full awareness of their worth and inner beauty. Through our products and education, we empower girls to make positive choices for their health, safety, well-being, personal happiness, and contribution to community”.

BYOU has a fabulous website, including online games for girls, a free online club for girls, as well as a shop containing awesome merchandise. Clothing, earrings, lunchbags, backpacks, and a book, “Beauty’s Secret” are available.

My daughter and I were able to review the Be Your Own You – Believe in You! shirt, the pink lunchbag, as well as “, “Beauty’s Secret”, which was written by Deborah Gano herself. I was impressed with the quality of the products. The shirt is made with 100% quality cotton and has an adorable colorful design. The pink lunchtote is made of a sturdy canvas and has a lined inside for cold items. This is perfect for the lunchroom or the beach!



Photobucket 
Photobucket

Lastly, we reviewed “Beauty’s Secret”. Beauty’s Secret is about a girl named Beauty “whose enthusiasm for life lights up the world around her. However, her light dims as she becomes overly focused on her external appearance”. Beauty learns an important secret in this story that I believe every girl nowadays needs to hear! This is Book One of the Heartlight Series and has won numerous awards, including Mom's Choice Award, USA Book News National Best Books, and the Moonbeam Award.  My daughter and I read this book over the course of a week, chapter by chapter at night. My daughter, although seven, is a strong reader and was able to read it herself. The book was beautifully illustrated by Dawn Pitre.




Photobucket


If you would like to read more about the Heartlight Girls, visit the following sites:

Beauty's Secret may be purchased at HERE!
post signature

3 comments:

  1. This was a BRILLIANT post!! My 10 year old daughter is SO stick skinny, I mean she has not one inch of fat on her tiny little frame and she has already said some alarming things to me about how fat she thinks she is. I make sure to tell her each and every single day how beautiful I think she is and does she know how beautiful she is. I thank you for posting about this topic. It is so important to instill in our little girls about having high self esteem. Loved it!! Great job! I am a new follower and I am so glad that I am here just from this blog post alone so thank you!! Terri of Two Pink Peas www.twopinkpeas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with two pink peas above, this is a great article on a great subject!!

    following you from blog it forward hop!
    would love a follow back and say hellow
    http://www.bragallaboutit.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! This is a serious issue in our youth's today, BYOU is a great site!

    New follower from MM blog hop.

    http://thischicasguideto.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

 

Tidbits From A Mom Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang