Thursday, March 3, 2011

What Has Happened To Respecting Authority?

I cannot get this question out of my head today.  What has happened to respect?  Common courtesy?  Just when I think I have seen everything...someone finds a new way to surprise me.  This includes adults, but primarily I'm talking about kids and teenagers.  I would be horrified if my child spoke to another adult the way I have watched some students talk to teachers as well as myself.  I know their parents would be horrified as well.  When I think back to when I attended elementary school, I would never IN A MILLION YEARS think of yelling out in class, purposely disregarding a teacher who was speaking to me, being fresh in responding to an adult, etc. 

The children are all angels when you are speaking to them one on one.  You can have wonderful conversations with them.  The majority of students are respectful one on one.  However, get them together in a group and something happens.  They become completely consumed with getting each other's attention at no expense.  This is not everyone of course, I don't want to imply that in any way.  A lot of my job entails talking to kids about respect and how their behavior affects others and how people view them.  My lessons/advice are not working.  I feel as though I am beating my head against a cement wall.  I care about these kids, I really do.  I'm frustrated because I know what great kids they are.  They just can behave so badly when together in a group. 

It was a long, frustrating day.  I am going to bed and pulling the covers over my head.  Goodnight!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Tidbits From A Mom Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang