Friday, January 7, 2011

Do you know what your child is saying when they text?

I'm trying to imagine what it's like to be a teenager in our society today. Some things are still the same - friends are the most important thing, parents are annoying at times, homework, gossiping about who likes who. I remember there were kids in my high school who were well known for their drinking and that hasn't changed. But, I don't remember (or maybe I was just clueless) kids doing as many drugs in high school as they do now. I know kids are still concerned (or obsessed) with how others view them. Is it more so than in the past?

With the addition of technology, we've definitely changed everything. Do you agree? We never had computers, texting, cell phones...Facebook, Twitter, Myspace...nothing. Just a regular phone. I watch my friends' kids and get anxious for when my own daughter is their age. What will it be like???
I think parents need to be up on the "lingo" and what text acronyms mean. We need to know what our kids are talking about! Not spying, but being aware. If we aren't educated, we'll be in the dark as to whether there's a problem.

I found this list of texting acronyms on www.safesurfingkids.com and I felt it was important to share them with you....

Read the text acronyms on Safe Surfing Kids here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Tidbits From A Mom Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang