Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Home-Ec 101: Skills for Everyday Living Review

Photobucket

Home-Ec 101: Skills for Everyday Living by Heather Solos is written for those of us who struggle with balancing parenthood, work, and cooking, cleaning, washing, and fixing that is involved in taking care of your family and home.

I am definitely searching for a way to organize my chores and meal planning so that my life can be simplified. That’s a tall order, but I am up for the challenge if it is going to help me out. I was given the opportunity to review a chapter, Meal Planning is Not Just For Control Freaks, from Home-Ec 101. This chapter was great because not only does it give some menu ideas for three weeks, but it also gives practical ideas for mixing up your usual meals. Solos suggests have nightly themes for dinner; for example, “Taco Tuesday” and “Soup and Sandwich Saturday”. The recommendations that are made can definitely help people organize their thoughts on dinner and hopefully remove any stress involved. For example, leftovers often sit in my fridge, go uneaten, and are then thrown away, which is such a waste of money. Solos suggests, “Once you get the hang of menu planning it’s time to up the ante and learn the planned-over formula. The basic premise is to cook only one labor-intensive meal and roll that one item into several meals. Take meat loaf. It’s a good entree, but it’s even better the next day crumbled into vegetable soup, served in sandwiches, or crumbled into spaghetti sauce”.

I would love the opportunity to read the other chapters in the book because Lord knows I need some advice on organizing the whole way I approach managing chores!

Thank you very much to the One2One Network for providing me the opportunity to review this chapter of Home-Ec 101.

*Disclaimer: I was provided a chapter of this book for free for the purposes of the review. The opinions expressed here are completely my own.

post signature

1 comments:

  1. Finishing up with my entries for BYB...thought I would say hi while I was here. Sue from www.fingerclicksaver.com Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

 

Tidbits From A Mom Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang